About our Periodontist in Honolulu
Dr. Michael R.C. Umaki was born and raised in Honolulu, HI. He graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree and completed his residency in Periodontics. During his time at UMKC, Dr. Umaki was awarded multiple distinctions and was involved in research that led to publications in respected dental journals. His articles cover a range of topics including rare gingival conditions, patient compliance, and lasers.
Dr. Umaki was inducted into the Phi Kappa Phi honor society, an opportunity offered to only the top 10% of all graduate students across the nation. Beyond having a strong focus and grasp of his didactic work at UMKC, he attended nationwide courses to become adept at the latest techniques and technology in the rapidly evolving field of Periodontology. Dr. Umaki is also versed in the use of biologics, tissue and bone grafting, implant technology, and the treatment of failing implants. He has gained invaluable clinical experience by placing implants and performing tissue grafts, periodontal surgery, ridge augmentation, sinus lifts, ridge splits, particulate augmentation, and block grafts.
Dr. Umaki is excited to work with his father and continue a tradition of excellent patient care. His position as co-director for the Hawaii Graduate Dental Forum, a dental study group composed of Hawaii’s best young dentists, will also enable him to collaborate with early career dentists who are dedicated to excellence in the total case management of each patient.
- American Dental Association – Active member
- American Academy of Periodontology - Active member
- Hawaii Dental Association - Active member
- Honolulu County Dental Society- Active member
- Midwest Society of Periodontology - Active member
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society - Active member
- 2011 Charles M. Cobb Graduate Periodontics Scholarship
- 2010 Dr. Frank W. and Dr. John C. Windle Scholarship
- 2009 American Academy of Periodontology Dental Student Award for Achievement in Periodontology
- 2008 – 2009 UMKC Periodontics Honors Student
- “Conservative Treatment of Localized Juvenile Spongiotic Gingival Hyperplasia,” Clinical Advances in Periodontics. Nov 2011, Vol. 1, No. 3, Pages 199-204.
- “The Psychology of Patient Compliance: A Focused Review of the Literature,” Journal of Periodontology. Posted online on 5 August 2011, ahead of print.
- “Diode Lasers and Periodontal Therapy: Issues No One Wants to Talk About,” Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, article accepted for publication, ahead of print.